Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?
Re: US Web Coated. Oops
In reply to Stacey_K, 2 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

2. Why do normal looking photos often have out of gamut colors? This seems to be common to web images with bright colors. Stacy's image below was, I assume, processed in sRGB. The color detail in the flower was not blown out. The image looked normal. Yet almost all of the flower is out of gamut. What does this mean?

It means you have the proof device/profile set to something other than sRGB, likely a monitor profile or some other default device. It can't be out of gamut for it's own color space.

OK, that was it. Thanks. It was set for US Web Coated for a print job. I'd forgot about that. I've changed it to document profile. That made the difference. I'd assumed gamut warning was set by the working color space. Oops.

And gamut warning set for the documents color space would be pointless. It simply can not be out of gamut for it's own color space! The whole point of proofing/gamut warnings are to show you where problems may be when you convert to -another- color space. By the definition of "color space", all the colors must be inside of that color space "box".

So, if one were to edit in Adobe RGB or ProPhotoRGB with the intent of sending it to a spacific printer and paper you would set the proofing/gamut warnings to that paper, correct?

Sorry about the attitude. I got my back up when I read, "I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but those examples are a -good example- of a mixed up color management workflow." which I found to be dismissive, insulting, and uninformative.

It's OK and I didn't mean it as insulting, but it was an example of how confusing this topic can be, I screw up myself. It took me a long time to wrap my head around this. It's 3 dimensional space we can't see. I couldn't really tell what you were doing wrong until I saw the gamut warning thing and tried it myself.

Thanks. Crow is not my favorite meal.

It's why I still feel, unless you -really- understand why sRGB won't work for a specific image, just use sRGB and you can pretty much not concern yourself with color management problems. It's what I do most of the time.

If you know your printer has a larger gamut than sRGB you would want to edit in a gamut that was larger or equal to the printer's gamout, correct?

I still want to run the comparison test again to see what differences are seen between editing in sRGB and editing in a larger gamut and converting to sRGB. Since so many pundits say to edit big and convert I'd like to try and get a handle on the pros and cons of that.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow