Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,624
Like?
Nocturnal Aerial Artistry
2 months ago

Fireworks are rally an art form: burning metal chemicals painted on an ebony canvass,  fleeting beauty, like life itself.

These were from Spokane, Washington.

What on earth was I doing there?  We'll, visiting relatives, both living and dead.  Graves and family reunions were on the agenda.  Aging relatives and apple pie.  Of course, I'm an aging relative myself I guess.

Speaking of aging, I was using the now antiquated Nikon D800E + 70-200 f4 zoom at f5.6, Aperture Priority, -1 EV Exposure Compensation, RRS tripod and cable release.  Shutter speeds were typically 4 to 15 seconds.

In previous years I used Manual Exposure mode for fireworks, but I said, "why should I do all the work?"  Aperture Priority mode worked well with the -1 dialed in to keep the sky black.

I think a good strategy for next time is to take a few photos in Aperture Priority and see what works best then lock that exposure in Manual Mode.  Also a foreground with reflections off water or silhouetted buildings would be nice but where I was standing, this is what we saw.

Spokane is a very nice city, actually.  I always enjoy visiting.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow