35mm f1.8 lens - great hardware but lousy software. How to use it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AHM
AHM
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
35mm f1.8 lens - great hardware but lousy software. How to use it?
3 months ago

I just got the SEL35F18, about a week ago. I think I got some amazing shots with it. The foreground is super sharp (to the point where it makes me wonder if my kit lens is OK), with a nice blurry background. I worried that the 35mm would be too long a focal length, but it's actually perfect for kids, with their small size.

But I find the lens very hard to use. It seems the A6000 thinks you would never want to use an aperture larger than F4.0. In P- and S-mode, the camera prefers to crank up ISO until it hits maximum, rather than opening the aperture. In A-mode, on the other hand, it sets shutter speed at 1/60, and then decreases ISO until it hits 100, and only then increases shutter speed. 1/60 appears rather arbitrary, not ideal to avoid motion blur. So, it seems to me the only way to use the lens is in M-mode, which is quite cumbersome. The other mode that actually works is iAuto, which makes much more reasonable choices than P-mode -- not as adverse to apertures larger than F4.0. But I prefer not to use iAuto as it is too intrusive in other ways.

How do other people use the 35mm? Any tricks?

AHM's gear list:AHM's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow