Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,419Gear list
Like?
Re: Check out these photos with that sensor and 70-300 CX
In reply to cainn24, 4 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

technic wrote:

The Nikon 1 V3 / CX70-300 combo looks like it could do the job for me but it is very expensive for a 'niche' application.

It's almost offensively expensive actually. Everything about the system is way over-priced. I mean seriously, a 70-300 lens for $1000, that isn't even fast? We're only talking ~$550 for a micro four thirds equivalent. Yes, the effective reach is a little less, but you have superior light gathering capability (the Nikon 1 70-300 is only f/6.1 to f/7.6 in micro four thirds equivalent terms).

In fact with MFT you have access to a plethora of much cheaper glass. Cheaper bodies too, depending on your needs.

Really, I don't know what Nikon are thinking with their pricing. There will always be some adopters of course regardless of the price, but how do they expect to reach critical mass?

The nikon cx70-300 lens is probably worth the high price, it is well built and really sharp (judging from sample images) even at full zoom. This is not the quality you get from a m43 consumer zoom or the normal Nikon (DSLR) 70-300 zooms but a clear step up. Lenses that are a bit better are often much more expensive ...

I have more problems with the camera, price for a V3 + EVF is ridiculous IMHO compared to the competition. The cheaper m43 bodies definitely can't compete on (AF) speed so those are no option for me, the would be worse than my current DSLR. I don't think Nikon wants 'critical mass' with these prices ;-(

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow