a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic range, ISO-less sensors
In reply to Rishi Sanyal, 3 months ago

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

The a7S focuses demonstrably better in low light than the a7R. That said, in my own subjective low light tests of a face in very, very low light, the center AF point of my 5D Mark III + f/1.8 prime focused better than that of the a7S + f/1.8 prime (which, in this scenario, kept hunting). I think part of this is up to the type of detail these systems are attempting to detect; i.e. horizontal, vertical, diagonal line sensitivity. The more of these types the merrier. Last I checked the Sony's were only vertical line-sensitive (admittedly, this may have changed; I don't know). It's my opinion that some of these contrast-detection systems still have a ways to go before catching up to dedicated PDAF systems (despite the accuracy advantage of CDAF systems).

Panasonic also claims EV-4 for CDAF (for couple of generations at least)... do you have access to GH4 and say some eq lens to see how Panasonic stacks vs A7s/5DmkIII... just curious

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow