Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clearzoom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
All good reasons to upgrade 70d to 5D III
2 weeks ago

I see it is a big jump/upgrade from APSC to FF, and I have never used a FF camera except I rented a 5D3 recently for few days

I am trying to figure out how worthy and all reasons to upgrade from 70d to 5D3 and why I need to do that

This is my scenario

I use 70d mainly for fast action photography, like BMX, soccer, Horse race, BIF, and lot of water sports (wake surf, wake board )

I use 1-2 times a week mostly in weekend

70D has been excellent for fast action, but ONLY in Bright light. My lens is 70-200 f4L on IS,

80% of the time in that 1-2 times/week has been bad light, due to cloudy, rainy reason and 70d gave me hard time in this light, as I couldn’t go more than iso 800/1600 max.

even I did try 200mm f2.8 for few days, which is better than f4, but it didn’t help much

Bad light days

30 mins before and after sunset

All cloudy days – very bad light

Intermittent weather days – this has killed me this reason. It would be sunny when I start, then becomes dull, again becomes sunny,  not easy

Pl comment or correct

1) 5D3 has good keepers than 70d due to upto high iso.6400 usable?

2) also in Good light, keepers of fast action are more in 5D3 than 70d due to it’s AF and tracking capability

3) can use in Low light scenarios, for wide angle as well

4) Higher IQ due to FF sensor compared to APSC

5) Dynamic range better in FF?

Any more reasons ?

Cons

1) I am not sure I am right here, but I have learnt that due to FF sensor, no crop, we lose reach here. I wont get advantage of FL multiplier, so APSC gets 1.6x, so 70-200 in 5D, becomes 105-300 in 70d. am I right here? Or it is just FF gives FOV?

2) my wallet will be less heavy with $3,500 Bill for 5D3:)

I might live with this due to this fact. 7 events out of 10 events and 3 out of 4 vacations (short) in last 8 months, turned out to be those bad light days and came out with frustrating outcome of screwy images. so I am consoling the extra cost would save my vacations and not go a waste of vacations do cost a lot of money

Appreciate your comments as always

Kumaresh, Dallas, TX

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow