ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tuuthpaaste
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Olympus em5, em10, or wait?
5 months ago

Hi-

I'd been considering picking up an olympus em10 as a general improving my photography, semi-packable camera, but have also been attracted to the em5 because of it's weather-sealing.  As someone who doesn't even own a smart-phone, the wifi capabilities of the em10 would be lost on me, and the slightly reduced resolution of the em5's screen doesn't seem to be too big of a compromise. However, the built-in flash of the em10 seems like a nice feature.

The em1 and it's class competitors (ie the fujifilm xt1) are probably a bit above what I want to spend.

But I have a few additional questions:

1) As someone who likely wouldn't be immediately springing for any of the more expensive additional weather-sealed lenses, would the advantages of a weather-sealed body be lost if I was using non-weather-sealed lenses?

2) If one is diligent, is it safe to use a non-weather-sealed body in somewhat marginal weather/conditions (ie drizzling hikes, ambient moisture during mountaineering, etc), or is this just a total non-starter.

3) As it seems like the em5 has been on the market for a while, is it worth trying to wait for a successor either to save on the em5 or to get a slight more advanced camera? I'd like to have the camera this summer to learn/play with, but I realize that olympus probably knows a lot of people feel this way, and could be holding out.

Thanks for your time!

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow