85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?
In reply to salla30, 5 months ago

salla30 wrote:

tempting also. Countering this choice is the obvious price differential and the fact that I would really like an 85mm full frame option as I can foresee an A7 purchase in the next year or 2. But it's tempting for sure.

I was really wondering if Sony had plans for an 85mm FE lens specifically. This would be a worth addition i feel. I would pay a premium as a longer term investment. With 35mm on the RX1 and a quality AF 85mm FE lens on an A7, I'd be really set for most eventualities.

My guess is yes, they do have plans for an 85mm FE lens in the near future. A medium telephoto lens was on old roadmaps dating back years, but was delayed, and has now vanished.

It's possible (a wild guess) that when Sony made the decision to go full frame, they decided a full frame 85mm lens made more sense for the system, rather than an APS-C only lens. So maybe the development of the APS-C lens was terminated, and development on a FF version started.

There's a wide aperture prime lens on this year's roadmap. I'm expecting it to be the long promised medium telephoto prime (draw your own conclusions, as the evidence here is pretty sparse).

The 85mm f/2.8 SAL lens isn't a bad option at this focal length. Even including the adapter the size isn't too unmanageable. I own this one, and like it a lot. It's sharp enough, and renders beautifully. ~$200 at the moment for the Samyang seems hard to beat though...

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow