Sigma 17-70 vs other 28ish-100ish zooms with IS? (particularly barrel distortion wise)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
K Mcgregor
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17-70 vs other 28ish-100ish zooms with IS? (particularly barrel distortion wise)
4 months ago

Hi folks. Currently I own an Olympus E520 and have a load of fantastic lenses for it. However, my camera's been having problems lately, and I may soon have to replace it, and unfortunately there's no new Olympus 4/3 upgrade possible.

So, I've been considering the possibility of switching over to Nikon. It's probably the Nikon D3300 I'd be using as a body.

Am I right in saying if I want a zoom lens in the range of 28-100ish equivalent starting at f2.8 with image stabilisation (matching my existing 28-108 2.8-3.5 equivalent Olympus lens with IS in the body), my choice is limited to the Sigma 17-70 f 2.8-4 OS? My budget for the main zoom would be around the cost of the 17-70 (£500ish maximum).

I'm thinking, since I would like to keep the ability to use f 2.8 in my normal zoom, this lens might be the best choice for me if I were to switch, but I am a bit concerned about barrel distortion, which is not something I am used to dealing with from using my current set up.

Is there any of the other lenses in this range (28ish-100ish) with IS that would be a significant improvement on the Sigma 17-70 barrel distortion wise?

Moreover, in terms of other aspects of quality, is the 17-70 notably inferior enough to some other choices in this range (with IS) that I should be neglecting the extra stop it gives for the gain in quality?

K Mcgregor's gear list:K Mcgregor's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +1 more
Nikon D3300 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow