Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jay A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117
Like?
Re: Love note to the nit pickers.
In reply to hotdog321, 5 months ago

Yes, I am aware that I could manually focus on the corners of the image instead of focusing on the center. This would give a critical test suited to the lab, which is really nice sometimes.

I think this would have been ludicrous! Hey maybe you should have also shot at F16 to better judge the corner sharpness instead of shooting at F4. They'd look better that way! Right?

But who the heck shoots that way? When I shoot an image, I am focusing on a subject which may or may not be in the center of the frame. But I still want the corners to look as good as possible, especially when I am forced to shoot wide open at f/4 (events, low light, action, etc.)

Therefore I shot examples focusing on the center, but examined the corners. All the centers at f/4 look pretty good, which we expect. But the key is how the corners will behave when the center is sharp. Bokeh be damned, I want those corners to look crisp on a real assignment, not in the lab.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow