Are my images Green?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
MiraShootsNikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 624
Like?
Some Technical Info--Good Link!
In reply to Robin Casady, 3 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Tell me more about how, "There is -no possible way- for an image that was actually developed or converted as a sRGB file to then include out of gamut colors for sRGB…"

Since you asked . . . .

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200701_rodneycm.pdf

It's a great technical article from PP Magazine on the color gamut Lightroom employs in the develop module. The article dates from Lightroom's introduction, so the author is out-of-date when he mentions the lack of soft proofing--we've now got that feature.

However, it turns out I'm right that Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB to render your RAW data in the develop module, and that you can't change this. Well . . . let me be more precise: Lightroom uses a gamut that's a spitting image of ProPhoto RGB with just a few small tweaks. Adobe apparently called it "Melissa RGB" and "LoveChild RGB" internally.

Anywho, what this means is that your test never actually developed files in sRGB (or AdobeRGB). You developed in ProPhotoRGB (well . . . "LoveChild RGB") and then converted that articulation (via relative colorimetric conversion) to sRGB and AdobeRGB when you outputted your results. You never actually saw a native sRGB or AdobeRGB articulation of your RAW.

Yay, we've cleared it up!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow