Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jay A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?
Re: Corner tests for 16-35 f2.8 MkII
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 5 months ago

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Jay A wrote:

If a corner from one lens looks better than the same corner from another lens...ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, then the one with the better corner handles corners better, no?

No. It means it does it better in this case. It does not tell you what happens if you use each lens in an optimal way. Also, it does not tell you how big the difference is when you do it properly.

For example, the 24-105 handles corners better at 24mm than the old 24-70 when focused at infinity (because, according to PZ, the 24-70 is horrible at the corners at 24mm while the 24-105 that I own is just bad) but I can never get the good corners of the 24-70 when focused at 2m with my 24-105, no matter how deep I focus (but I can optimize the sharpness by choosing the right focal plane).

Well then based on what you are saying, there hasn't ever been a test done that is valid because none have ever covered ALL SCENARIOS that a particular lens may be used under. For that matter, all the test target tests such as those done by the-digital-picture are useless because they test at the same distance all the time regardless of whether or not the particular lens being tested is any good at that distance.

Maybe the only valid test would be the one done at every single aperture and each aperture shot at every possible shooting distance, and each of those with every possible body that the lens might be used with, and then with both OIS turned on AND turned off.......I can go on and on if I want...but I don't think we are talking in practical real life scenarios here.

I think you have to take any test for what it's worth and know that no one test is going to be the end all definitive statement on the lens. If this particular test "does so in this case" so be it. It at least gives us some info (useless or not to the majority of us) that we would not have gotten had it not been performed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow