Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?
Re: Some Tests ProPhotoRGB to sRGB vs working in sRGB
In reply to Robin Casady, 2 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Things can change drastically when you "convert" depending on which rendering intent you use. You don't mention which rendering intent was used.

And as the other poster said, how can an image that is supposedly in sRGB color space being "converted" to sRGB have colors out of gamut for sRGB? That makes no sense.

I don't use LR, I use capture NX2/export to PS so have no idea what the "working" color space is for LR or really anything about LR. I do know something weird is going on in this workflow as far as color management.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53976021

I read your other post before I replied.

There is -no possible way- for an image that was actually developed or converted as a sRGB file to then include out of gamut colors for sRGB. Converting a sRGB file to an sRGB should do absolutely nothing. It may have been clipped or posterized from using the wrong conversion intent, but it can't have out of gamut colors in it. That's like saying you found 1.2 gallons of milk in a 1 gallon jug.

You really don't get it. Lightroom 5 does not have a color space for a NEF until it is exported. The color space in Lightroom 5 Preferences is applied when the image is sent to Photoshop. The gamut was checked as soon as it arrived in Photoshop. There was no conversion done in Photoshop before the gamut was checked.

If you have a color chart such as the ColorChecker Passport, photograph it and open it in NX2 then send it to Photoshop in sRGB TIFF 16 bit. Check the gamut in Photoshop before doing anything else.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong but those examples are a -good example- of a mixed up color management workflow.

Since your converter is now obsolete, you will need to learn another one eventually. Might as well try and understand what is going on here. It is likely to be useful when you switch. That understanding will also allow you back up your claim that it is a mixed up workflow. To make such a claim about something you don't understand is ignorant arrogance.

Stacy, I downloaded a couple images from your gallery, opened them in Photoshop CS6 using the embedded color space (sRGB), and checked gamut. Oops. The grey areas are out of gamut.

Grey areas are out of gamut

Tell me more about how, "There is -no possible way- for an image that was actually developed or converted as a sRGB file to then include out of gamut colors for sRGB…"

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow