Flat view
Dave Stott
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Upgrading G5 - my thoughts - any comments very welcome
2 months ago

*** I also posted this in mu-43.com , so no need to read it twice ***

Hi everyone,

A bit of background. I bought a refurbed G5 plus 14-42mm last year as a low cost entry point to mft, with the intention of having it as a second camera to keep with me and in the car. The reduced size and weight were very important to me. I quickly found that I liked it very much indeed, so I bought the v.2 14-140mm Pany and that has become my go to combination. The dslr stays at home, except for trips to Africa

So, I see my mft kit as my main system, and I now need to think where I go with it, starting with the body.

I shoot in RAW, and process mostly in Lightroom (5.5, fortunately). Everything from landscape (mostly, I suppose) to street. Don't generally do big prints, nothing larger than A3, and share on web.

Requirements:
- No bigger or heavier than the G5
- Good handling (really like the mini-dslr form of the G5)
- Dual control dials
- Fast autofocus (but not too critical, since I don't do sports, and the dslr is for wildlife)
- Minimise shutter shock (definitely there on the G5 + 14-140mm, electronic shutter essential on that kit)
- EVF
- Built in flash
- Articulating screen, at least flip up
- (Of course) Best image quality and processor

Less important
- Video - only use occasionally
- Low light performance. Always good of course, but if I were shooting landscape in low light it would be on a tripod
- Budget. Not really an issue, within reason.

Had Panasonic brought out the fabled G7 this year, that would have been the obvious choice, but they haven't and the G6 does really add much to the G5 for my needs.

Looking around, the OM-D EM10 looks like the body that ticks most boxes. Plus having a body with IBIS potentially opens up a greater range of lenses.

When I have handled OM-D's in the past, the grip has felt too small to me. However, researching shows me the extended grip, which looks as if it would fit the bill.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Dave

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow