Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Project95
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
So I rented the G1X mk II for a week.
5 months ago

I rented the G1X mk II over the week of 4th of July. Let me give you a little background about myself. I've been doing photography for 12 years and I specialize in custom high school senior portraits. I've always owned Canon EXCEPT for the Sony RX100 that I own now. All my professional camera equipment is Canon. When the RX100 became available a couple years ago I had to have it. Nothing compared to it at the time for a compact. So I've had it for roughly two years or from whenever it was that it became available.

So I rented the G1X mk II from LensRental to compare to my Sony RX100 and see if it had enough features to make me want to upgrade. The one thing I've NEVER liked is the ergonomics and menu layout of the Sony and also the jpg colors. Although the Sony was very responsive and could focus instantaneously. The first thing I really liked about the G1X mk II is the flip up and tilt lcd screen. The second second thing I noticed about it was how much slower operation the G1X mk II was vs. Sony RX100. I was taken back a bit when I noticed how much slower it was than my two year old Sony. I have a 7 month baby crawling around. So sometimes I'm snapping pictures with my compact camera very quickly catching all his moments as he moves quickly. I was disappointed when I was snapping pictures of him quickly vs using the Sony. However, I loved the jpg colors and the menu layout. The user experience was so much easier and more enjoyable than the Sony RX100. Right now 95% of the images I take with my compact camera is of my baby boy. I never take out my Canon 5d mk III for snapshots and I typically only use it for my professional work.

So the big question... is it worth the upgrade for me? Unfortunately, I have to say at this time the upgrade is not worth it for me, but it's very close. I think if they do a firmware upgrade making the shot to shot, focusing, and whole operation 25% faster then I'll buy it. So for now I'll just hold on to the Sony RX100 a little longer. Also, upgrading to the RX100 mk III was not an option for me because I hate the Sony menu layout and ergonomics. Plus, they shortened the focal length on the new mk III which I'm not willing to give up.

What I'm looking forward to is a firmware update on the G1X mk II. So that it operates as fast as my two year old Sony RX100. Or... i may look into a Panasonic LX8 or Fuji X 30 if they come out this year.

My opinion is mainly based on the quick operation of a compact camera that I need for my baby boy. So that I don't miss anything of him. Otherwise, it may be a different story if I didn't need a very fast operating compact camera.

To see some of my professional work visit www.ProjectNineFive.com

Project95's gear list:Project95's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow