Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,481Gear list
Like?
Re: Love note to the nit pickers.
In reply to Abu Mahendra, 4 months ago

Abu Mahendra wrote:

Sure, but if so, then one will want to shoot the test images by i.) focusing at the hyperfocal distance and ii.) frame the image so that none of the out-of-focus area in front of the focus point is in the frame. Otherwise, you will be getting unsharp sections at the edges/corners for which you know not whether they are unsharp because the lens does not resolve sufficiently there or because the DoF did not extend that far.

By focusing in the corner and then examining at the corner you disentangle these DoF complications and you establish a baseline maximum resolution of the lens. By focusing on and then examining the corner, you establish best-case. It's never going to be better than that. That's as good as it's going to get because when you start focusing at points other than the corner, you start battling DoF.

-- hide signature --

"That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
The onus of the evidence is on the one making the claim, not on the one questioning the claim.

Who the heck shoots that way? The most I ever do is focus 1/3 into the scene and stop down if I want to maximize DOF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow