Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,778
Like?
Love note to the nit pickers.
In reply to hotdog321, 5 months ago

Seems to be some sensible (also some nit picky) discussion about the way I shot this test, IE: focusing on the center and examining the corners.

Yes, I am aware that I could manually focus on the corners of the image instead of focusing on the center. This would give a critical test suited to the lab, which is really nice sometimes.

But who the heck shoots that way? When I shoot an image, I am focusing on a subject which may or may not be in the center of the frame. But I still want the corners to look as good as possible, especially when I am forced to shoot wide open at f/4 (events, low light, action, etc.)

Therefore I shot examples focusing on the center, but examined the corners. All the centers at f/4 look pretty good, which we expect. But the key is how the corners will behave when the center is sharp. Bokeh be damned, I want those corners to look crisp on a real assignment, not in the lab.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow