Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mongrel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176
Like?
Re: Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II
In reply to Rick Knepper, 3 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

Anthony, I appreciate your kind words but the state of my images have no bearing on this debate which is my point. A non-photographer could debate the results of any lens. All it takes is a keen sense of observation and the ability to articulate those observations.

Rick, you’re welcome.

I’ll just add this last thought to give insight to the basis for my comments regarding “pros”.

First of all, you are absolutely correct that ANYONE can “debate” lens characteristics such as sharpness. My five year old daughter can make a determination as to whether one picture looks “sharper” in comparison to another. And certainly members of this board are equally able to make similar determinations. So, anyone with decent eyesight and a computer monitor can look at a shot taken with a particular lens and say “sharp”…”not sharp”. This is the easy part. But, it’s not the only part-for ME anyway.

When I judge a photograph I make a personal determination whether or not that photograph is “good” (for now we can dismiss whether it’s ok, good, or even great, and just use ‘good and bad’). Sometimes the photograph is professionally done like a magazine cover, sometimes it’s done at a professional level in Rick Knepper’s gallery (who may, in fact, be a pro for all I know). But-it’s a GOOD photograph.

Naturally as someone interested in photography I will ask at some point what gear was used to make that photograph. Camera, lens, lighting, processing, etc.. When I find out what lens was used I begin looking for other shots where that lens was used that are also “good”. This helps me determine whether or not the first photograph is an anomaly or a typical representation of the results that GOOD photographers are able to accomplish with that particular lens.

This is why, for my personal lens/gear acquisitions I go to the people that are making their money in photography or those, such as you, who have demonstrated what a lens is capable of when used by someone who knows what they are doing. Someone like the OP, ‘hotdog321’, is a professional and has a history in the field of photography backed up by a portfolio of successful photographs. And for me anyway, his opinion as to whether a lenses ‘deficiencies’ are acceptable in the real world (or not acceptable) carries more weight than an “amateur” who shoots brick walls, or even a lab that shoots brick walls, or even a “pro” who shoots brick walls but whose portfolio doesn’t interest me, or (more often the case) is never made available to public scrutiny. I’ll take the work of a pro that has “been there-done” that as to whether or not a lens is capable of getting the shots I would like to get over shots of brick walls, thank you.  In this thread we have a pro-the OP who has shot a yard (brick wall) and is impressed with the quality of this new lens and confident it will get the shot for him.  Regardless of what some feel are inconsistencies in his testing methodology, I'm satisfied with his recommendation of the lens.

Lastly, I have also found great encouragement from the fact that many photographs I consider to be GREAT photographs are often made using gear and lenses that a lot of people on this board would consider sub-par and unacceptable. That’s because great photography, while at times is enhanced by better gear, has never been as dependent on gear as most of us think.

I have respect for anyone’s opinion or experience, but I will give my ear to those who have already been to where I’d like to go artistically as a photographer regardless of the technical superiority of a particular lens.

Just an old dogs opinion…

-- hide signature --

Just think, if every key-stroke was a shutter-press we would all be pros by now...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow