Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Milkweed alert
In reply to Old Listener, 3 months ago

Old Listener wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

... reminds me of Lewis J Clark who used to take me mountaineering on Vancouver Island and the Interior of BC. We used to fly fish in those cold mountain streams and lakes. For about 10 years, until his passing, I had a lot next to his on Cowichan Lake . Great photographer, amateur botanist and steward.

Hmmm. Nice name for a botanist and steward. Lewis and Clark. The names might not resonate in Canada but in the US, they are part of our nation's history.

Every little bit helps, eh?

Yes. And we need to try.

A favor. I'm planning a trip to Atlantic Canada in August and/or September. (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island for sure. I'll add Newfoundland if it doesn't make the arrangements too complicated. I presume that you have been to the area. Any must see spots and activities? Any general advice?

"The names might not resonate in Canada but in the US, they are part of our nation's history." au contraire --- The Lewis and Clark Expedition is right up there with Alexander Mackenzie , Radisson and Groseilliers (Radishes and Gooseberries), Thompson, Fraser, et al in ( usually romanticized) accounts of exploration of the continent by "europeans" --- all gist for the History of North America subjects that we took in school.

Re your trip to Atlantic Canada. I am not much help. Never lived there. Visited it many times but usually at very high speed and from a very high altitude flying military kites over the countryside, occasionally to land to refuel or for crew rest at an AFB.

I have visited a few times by land and remember a few very scenic spots up north of Moncton ... Kouchibouguac especially... and Cavendish beach on PEI ... and the NS side of the Bay of Fundy ... and Halifax with nearby Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg and the beautiful drive up to Cape Breton Island.

Never explored Nfld.  But Gros Morne, the Viking settlements at L'Anse aux Meadows and those fishing outposts on the East Coast would be on my list.

IMHO Canadian Maritimers are BY FAR the most hospitable of Canadians.  Its worthwhile getting off of the beaten path to get to know them.

Have fun!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow