Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,893Gear list
Like?
Re: REDEMPTION! Sort of.
In reply to brecklundin, 3 months ago

brecklundin wrote:

As far as the exposure thing, comes down to knowing the lens and setting your exposure compensation or just accounting for it when shooting. I am full manual pretty much all the time but am learning to at least try and embrace TAV mode and I hardly ever rely on the camera's meter preferring to trust my instincts. To me no DSLR I've ever used gets the exposure right to my eye...just use it as a starting point. Plus I think I am ovr reliant to addressing exposure in post which might be me being a lazy guy...hahaha...keep after it, hope it ends up working out for you.

I find that the K-3 is quite good at correctly exposing, but there are still a lot of times when I give it something that no camera can be expected to automate, like a small bird on a dull backdrop with one white part that I don't want to blow out, or a landscape with a strip of bright sky right at the top edge.  For birding I often just dial in -1.0 comp just like I would with a dumber camera (maybe with this lens it'd just be -0.5), and for those awkward sky situations there's no substitute for chimping.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow