e-m10 or e-m5

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
LarsLeibgott
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: e-m10 or e-m5
In reply to Mr_Cynical, 5 months ago

Mr_Cynical wrote:

I've just made this decision myself, and went for the EM-5 for the following reasons:

• The difference between them was £90
  • Weather-sealing (with a weather-sealed kit lens) and better-built magnesium body rather than plastic (a bit like my trusty Pentax K20D in that respect, though it didn't come with the WR kit lens!)
  • Wider (12mm vs 14mm) and longer (50mm vs 42mm) kit lens
  • 5-axis stabilisation. I've had good-enough shots at 50mm 1/13, which is far better than the previous IS systems I've used (Pentax IBIS, Sony NEX lens IS)
  • The sensor is the same
  • I shoot RAW rather than JPEG, so the newer JPEG engine on the EM-10 didn't interest me (YMMV of course)
  • I primarily shoot landscapes / cityscapes, so the better tracking AF on the EM-10 wasn't hugely important to me
  • I had my NEX for about 16 months when I decided to go m4/3, and I never once used the built-in Wifi in that time (full memory card over sub-USB2 transfer speeds? no thanks!)

The E-M10 body is not plastic. It is mag alloy, just like the E-M5. The difference is the weather sealing.

Also, with the E-M5, you have no zero second anti-shock. If you do have SS issues, you have no recourse.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EM-5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow