Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Different Color Spaces Articulate Color Differently
In reply to MiraShootsNikon, 3 months ago

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

Hmm. When I compare AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB to sRGB, what I see is that the gamuts are all shaped differently. It's not just that ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB are "bigger" than sRGB in every direction--it's that they're bigger at different rates in different directions.

yes

That would suggest to me that it's not just a question of one space being able to account for "more" or "less" color than another; rather, it would seem that the same RAW bits converted in different color spaces would articulate color with qualitative differences, based on each space's shape. If you edit in ProPhoto RGB or AdobeRGB, it's not just that there's "more color" or that each bit represents a bigger color shift in every direction--it's that the result will actually look different over the regions the two spaces share.

yes

Taking this observation one step further: if you process your RAW in ProPhoto or AdobeRGB and then later convert to sRGB, is it true that your software "squeezes" the ProPhoto or Adobe RGB articulation into the sRGB space (i.e., compresses the "gaps" per bit) or is it the case that your software simply converts the ProPhoto or AdobeRGB articulation to the closest directly equivalent colors in the sRGB space and just clips any instance in which the ProPhoto or AdobeRGB articulation exceeds the sRGB gamut?

I think the later is what occurs, not the former.

Depends on how the transformation is done (i.e. in PhotoShop absolute colorimetric, relative colorimetric or perceptual)

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow