Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hans von der Crone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,159Gear list
Like?
A6000 not as sharp as RX100??
2 weeks ago

I've been using my a6000 for a few weeks now, coupled with both the 1650 and the Zeiss 24mm and Zeiss 16-70 (so not exactly crap lenses). Way too often, I find the pictures are not that sharp especially when photographing people (kids).

Mind, I'm using the exact same technique as on the RX100. I put the AF on either center or automatic, with face detect enabled. When the square around faces appear, I take the picture. Easy as that. Same aperture (usually work with fixed aperture).

A lot of times (way too often) on the a6000, the pictures tend to come out pretty soft. Not oof, just soft. When taking the exact same picture with the rx100 (tested them side by side), with the same technique, the faces (and eyes) are tack sharp, even sharper than what I'm getting with the 24Z (sometimes the 24Z 'nails' it, and then I get very sharp images, but 9/10 they're not).

You might suspect this is user error, but I've owned both the NEX5n and a NEX6 before, so I guess I can say I know my way around the system. I also own the Canon 5D3 with some L glass so I can also say I know a thing or two about photography (being a paid wedding photographer).

I'm not dissing the a6000 nor the lenses, but I wonder what could be the reason for this. Do I have a faulty a6000 AF system? Or anything else that could be missing? The pictures I got from my NEX6 with the 24Z were WAY sharper. But strange thing is, the a6000 sometimes is VERY sharp so it's not a sensor defect.

Btw, I always made sure that shutter speed was high enough to avoid camera shake. Any help appreciated.

ps: this is bugging me so much that I'm even thinking about selling the a6000 with all the lenses and get the rx100m3 coupled with my 5D3.

Hans von der Crone's gear list:Hans von der Crone's gear list
RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Sony a6000 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow