Milkweed alert

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: Milkweed alert
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 2 months ago

Very nice close-ups of those bugs and their habitat.... including the Lion's Tooth. (Dent de Lion). I use Lion's Tooth when considering the topic of 2-4-D etc when talking with lawn manicurers.

I shot some more images using the mechanical shutter today. Got some more of the "flying crayfish":

Good news is that the marina owner chatted with me today and was very appreciative of my pointing out his Monarch Butterfly Garden. Lotsa small battles, eh?

Tom

Thanks for the Dent de Lion reference. I understand that black bears are quite fond of them. It amuses me to think of black bears as a biological control for weeds.

There are a number of flowers in California with the toothed petal ends (including some native Dent de Lions.) This flower was barely visible to the naked eye.

A tiny yellow flower seen on Table Mountain near Oroville, CA.

The moth pictures are quite fine. I'd guess that part of the attraction is that the moth is larger and bulkier than I expect for an insect.

It sounds as though the marina owner will take an interest in preserving his milkweed patch.  That might lead him to a greater interest in nature that is farther away and visited less often.  I think that people will be far more supportive of preserving the natural world if they have a personal connection to nature in their everyday lives.  Abstract arguments for preserving nature are not likely to move people who have no personal reason to care.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow