e-m10 or e-m5

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,031Gear list
Like?
Re: As an E-M5 owner.... the question is intriguing
In reply to Yeyo, 5 months ago

Yeyo wrote:

Thanks all for replying and thanks marty Ill be using it to do events and ocasionally take pics in forest and nature. Do you think weather sealung should be essential or will the em10 work fine in nature places like forests?

Weather sealing is wonderful, if you want to shoot in harsh conditions. By this I mean... outdoors during thunderstorms, at sandy or dusty locations when the wind is blowing, in sub zero weather, or in tropical very humid climates.

Just remember, no weather sealing is perfect, and weather sealing doesn't mean "water proof." For most shooting situations, an unsealed camera might be perfectly fine. I know I used my (unsealed) Olympus E-510, Olympus E-P1, Olympus E-30, and Olympus E-PL2 for years and in some cases during light rain, or when it was snowing, and never had a problem.

Also please remember, that a weather sealed camera won't help you if your lenses aren't weather sealed as well. And there are very few weather sealed M4/3 lenses available today, and those that are seem to be very expensive. Some of the very best M4/3 lenses aren't weather sealed, (45mm f/1.8, 75mm f/1.8), but some others are (12-40mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8 Macro).

So it just depends on how you plan to use your camera. If you live in a very humid sub tropical climate, then it might be a good idea. If you plan to use your camera for kayaking, water skiing, or other events near water or sand, then it might help a lot.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EM-5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow