Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?
18m vrs 20m- what's going on?
3 months ago

I have 2 cameras: FZ70, 20mm to 1200mm zoom, and a Nikon D3100, the wider lens being an 18mm to 55mm. Here are two uncropped, JPG, OOC images comparing the shortest focal lengths of the 2 cameras taken from the same positions (my elbows on a picnic table where I was enjoying a beautiful day at Reed State Park in Maine):

FZ70 at 20 mm

Nikon D3100 at 18 mm (slight exposure adjustment made here just to be more consistent with the FZ70 image)

As you can see the FZ70 took in a much wider view at 20 mm than the 3100 did at 18 mm. How is this. The 18-55 mm zoom is a DX, appropriate to the 3100's sensor size (see My Gear for more info), so it should be a wider angle view but it is clearly quite a bit narrower.

Bill

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Fujifilm FinePix S5700 Zoom +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow