Seeking Advice on Video Shooting and Processing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Re: Seeking Advice on Video Shooting and Processing
In reply to averacpa, 2 months ago

I've been taking pictures for decades. With encouragement from my drop-dead-gorgeous, charming and brilliant granddaughters I decided to learn videography. I wasted a year fiddling around looking for the best way to do it.

If I had done a couple things, I would have made much more rapid progress.

First, before you do anything else, read Steve Stockman's book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck". He de-emphasizes camera gear and outlines necessary techniques.

Second, pick some editing software. It doesn't matter which one as long as you invest some time in understanding it. Sony, Corel and Adobe all have very capable versions that are priced between $60 and $80. My personal favorite is Adobe Premier Elements. The reason is that there are vast learning resources. For $25 and several evenings you can watch Steve Grisetti teach you on Lynda.com.

I promise that if you follow my two steps, you will be making pretty good videos in a couple weeks.

If you want any specific questions answered, please post them. If you would like to see one or two examples of what Steve Stockman and Steve Grisetti taught me, I'll post a link to a couple on Vimeo.

Good luck!

(On Edit:  I noticed you are using a Mac when I reread your original post.  I strongly recommend you consider Adobe Premier Elements 12 and Grissetti's training for an under $100 choice.  If price is not an object, consider the full Adobe CC for access to the professional version of Premier.

If you are a Lightroom user, a hidden surprise is that it does a credible job of simple and easy video production.)

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow