Lens reversal ring for Olympus 60mm macro?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?
Re: Lens reversal ring for Olympus 60mm macro?
In reply to Kameraphil, 5 months ago

Kameraphil wrote:

Just use a lens at any focal you consider appropriate, and the fact that the lens is macro is not relevant. The 60mm macro when used reversed will work just like an ordinary 60mm.

Would reversing the 60mm really help?  Since I have never used more than 1:1 I will defer to those of you that actually take pictures at higher magnification ratios.  But reversing the 60mm macro does not seem like a good idea.

I know that reversing a regular lens can improve macro performance and capabilities.  But with a lens like the 60mm that already goes down to 1:1 will it really work better reversed?

I have never tried it since 1:1 is already pretty demanding.  Higher magnification macro is kind of like trying to use extremely long lenses.  Technique becomes very important and there is more to it than just buying a lens.  At some point you need specialized lighting equipment like ring flashes, a really good tripod with a rail and have to start considering focus stacking.  Even at 1:1 I constantly run into having to choose between too little depth of field and too much diffraction.  Trying to get more magnification than 1:1 with an inexpensive reversal ring sounds a lot like trying to get a lot of reach by buying a cheap 2x teleconverter for the Panasonic 100-300 and hand holding it.  It might be fun to play with but the results would not be worth the trouble.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow