Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,924Gear list
Like?
Michael - "bride price" = marriage settlement
In reply to Michael L NYC 99, 5 months ago

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

My favorite shots are 1, 4 and 5.

Please clarify your comment about the Solomon Island girls. I hope you are not referring to human trafficking.

Not human trafficking but a family exchange -- in effect, the groom's family makes a payment to the bride's family (and we are talking very, very extended families here -- out to cousins about 127 times removed on both sides) which can be interpreted in two ways: if the bride's clan is of matrilineal inheritance, then the groom is in effect buying his way in because his children will belong to the mother's clan and inherit land (upon which all life is based) through her; if the groom's clan is patrilineal with inheritance through the father then they are in effect offering compensation to the bride's clan for the contribution the woman will make to the groom's clan.

You can work out all the permutations of that!

This kind of thing is pretty universal throughout the islands but the detail of how it works varies hugely. Mostly it is very much weighted towards the groom's clan contributing to the bride's clan, and mostly, payment is upfront before the marriage.

There is a whole lot of ritual involved too.

Follow the link in my signature to learn more. It is the first of three consecutive blogs dealing with a particular marriage settlement and marriage settlements generally.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Thx.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow