A7 gives false AF confirmation (occasionally)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sol Invictus
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
A7 gives false AF confirmation (occasionally)
2 months ago

Here is my problem. Although I enjoy the image output of the Sony A7, there are times that I get frustrated with this camera. Here is why:

I almost exclsively use the A7 + Zeiss FE 2470 combo. I've checked both the camera body and the lens for defects etc. and found none. A problem that sometimes appears is that although I get the AF confirmation (green dot & beep sound), I later find out that some of my pictures are blurred like taken with no focusing at all.

What is frustrating is that I get "fooled" by the AF confirmation system and relying on that, I expect my pictures to come out in focus. But nope, almost 2/10 pictures have this issue and it's not like having to do with shutter shock (EFCS is enabled). I also put the camera on a sturdy tripod to take pictures.

I mostly see that this issue comes up when I use Flexible Spot in Small size and also in situations when there is not much contrast difference in the frame. Inability to acquire focus I can bare with but false focus confirmation is utterly frustrating!

Has anyone else had this issue with his Sony A7? Is there a way to ensure that the camera has actually acquired focus?

*note that I'm NOT referring to manual focusing method.

-- hide signature --

avid landscaper...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS ACDSee Pro 5 HDRsoft Photomatix Pro DxO Optics Pro Elite +4 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow