ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Patrick Cox
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
Need Help with Mid 2011 iMac "Upgrade"
5 months ago

Hello,

I have a "Mid 2011" 21.5" iMac that is configured as follows...

• 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8 GB DDR3 Memory
  • AMD Radeon HD 512 MB Graphics
  • 2 TB Hard Disk

Startup of this machine has become very slow and general processing seems slow as well. So I am considering either buying a new iMac or upgrading my current machine. The thing that makes me question whether that maybe a new machine is not the answer is that it doesn't look like the processors are much faster in the new machines at my price point. So I am thinking that if maybe I can switch my current machine to an SSD drive and maybe double my memory, that might be a good solution. (Obviously I could buy a new machine with an SSD but if the impact of simply changing out the HD on my current drive is the same, then that would be more cost effective.)

So, my specific questions are...

1. Can you comment on the above and provide guidance?

2. And then, if I were to drop my 2 TB drive in favor of let's say a 500 GB SSD drive, I assume I would need to move a good portion of my images to an external HD and then will that defeat the purpose of the SSD drive? Currently I have about 650 GB of photos and videos.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Pat

Patrick Cox's gear list:Patrick Cox's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow