24-120 f/4 AF-S - VR juddering at 24mm??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frontal_lobe
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
24-120 f/4 AF-S - VR juddering at 24mm??
1 month ago

Hi all,

In the last week my 24-120 f/4 AF-S VR lens has developed an annoying fault. When switching on the camera with the lens set at 24mm, it makes a grumbling sound, and for a few seconds the image judders in the frame. This happens whether VR is switched on or off. Nothing odd happens at longer focal lengths. But zooming back to 24 mm from a longer focal length brings back the judder. The judder lasts just a few seconds, and then all seems to go back to normal. But I've also noticed that slowish exposures (e.g. 1/20th sec) even when the lens seems to be behaving normally with VR switched on, motion blur in the background instead of being smooth looks like it shows the effect of juddering.

Anybody else come across this? I've got a horrid feeling that the VR unit is going to need replacing. I've tried searching the forum, but haven't seen anything like this mentioned.

Thanks for any insight.

Anthony.

frontal_lobe's gear list:frontal_lobe's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow