+++++ This week through your m43 -- 5 July +++++

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,438Gear list
Like?
Noctilucent clouds in the Netherlands
In reply to Hen3ry, 4 months ago

Short explanation. These clouds are not completely understood, but tend to form from the end of mai to the middle of august. The clouds are at much higher altitudes than any other clouds. A cirrus may reach 20 km, NLCs from above 80km.

They can only be seen and northerly/southerly latitudes and are best seen between 50 and 65 degrees, with the best displays after solstic and especially july in the north. In the southenr hemisphere at the same latitidues they seem to be less common (unusre though).
They clouds can only be seen when the sun has dipped 6 degrees below the horizon and depend on a very cold upper atmosphere which happens to be in the summers..

So not to be confused with some cirrus cloud AT sunset and also not to be confused with Aurora Borealis. What these two have in common is that they occur at about the same latitides (roughly), have beautiful, vibrant colours.

On the camera, the GH4..focussing (manually of course) was difficult but I made it difficult to as I shot at f2.8 to keep ISO and noise down. F4 or f5.6 would have been better with higher ISO. I shot with the new Transcend R95-W60 U-3 class I card. Also 4K video for long stretches. It performed admirably at only 39 euro's. The camera was used virtually constantly from 23.00h - 04.00 h with the flipout screen on. Including 1-20 minutes of footage. The battery was at 2/3 by the end of this. In short: great.

JPGs are supposed to be bad on the GH4 according to some. As I do not like silkypix, I simply used the JPGs and processed them sometimes and very slightly in Adobe Elements 8. The JPGs look and colours are very close to reality. It did better again than my OLY EPL5, which I find surprising but if I do remmeber correctly the EPL5 JPGs can look better with other subjects.

With the 35-100 mm f2.8 you can easily shoot a couple of images to form a panorama with fantastic detail. I keep saying this: what a lens it is!

Enough words....the pics.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Thx.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow