Started Jul 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Hen3ry
Hen3ry OP
Forum ProPosts: 12,640Gear list
Like?
Busy subjects, busy backgrounds, more festival stuff
In reply to Hen3ry, Jul 5, 2014

Nothing doing on day 2 of the Melanesian Festival of Arts and Culture -- or rather, there was stuff doing but it was cloudy, rainy, and windy, and I thought "B+ggerit! I am old enough and ugly enough not to worry!" so I stayed home.

BUT a magnificent day yesterday, so I was out and about; although the dances, etc., were not spectacular (from my POV) we all enjoyed ourselves through the day and into the evening.

I got in a bit more time with the Panny 100-300 and the Panny 12-35 on the Panny G6 and began to feel a bit more at home with the outfit.

Some pix:

New Caledonian dancers was given a big welcome by the Papua New Guinea audience interested to see how people on other islands do stuff. 12-35.

The Malaita, Solomon Islands girls were not as traditional as some local dancers, but they got a big hand -- especially after it was pointed out that "bride price" there runs upwards of $100,000. (Local bride prices are 400-600 fathoms of tambu -- traditional shell money, the equivalent of about $1500 -- with perhaps another $500 in cash. 100-300.

Adjusting the headdress prior to a performance. This pic was in fairly heavy open shade -- I had to work hard in PP to jack up the contrast and the saturation (a bit) and the brightness so the subject could be separated from the background. We've all had the problem of busy backgrounds; here we had a busy subject! The 12-35 in action on the G6. 12-35.

Some faces:

A New Caledonian dancer. I dredged my mind for the school French of circa 1956 and was able to come out with a beautifully accented "Merci". A minute or two later, the rest of the sentence, "…beaucoup, monsieur/mon ami" came to mind. Too late! But he was happy with the "merci". 12-35. Look st the ISO -- mute testimony to the fact that the little rubber guard I stuck on the camera to keep my thumb off the 4-way did not survive. It fell off fairly early, to my surprise, the problem then became that I went on taking pix thinking it was in place so not being at all careful about accidentally pressing the button. Sigh! Now for Plan B… (Um, try exactly the same again.)

A Solomons Islands "Island rock" singer -- and a considerable character who entertained the crowd mightily. 45-150.

A dancer from Kiunga in the Western Province of PNG. Seriously traditional stuff. Those beautiful feathers on the front of his headdress are Bird of Paradise. Hunting them using traditional means (not guns, basically) is permitted to retain authenticity of traditional costuming. 12-35.

Thousands turned out last night to see the Bainings Fire Dance making a (fairly) rare visit to town. Nobody could actually see anything much except those in the front line or two around the ever-shrinking (through crowd pressure) fire and dance area but everyone was happy and we all had a good time. I remembered to jack up the ISO a bit (to 1600) and took this OOC JEG of part of the crowd with the 12-35 @ 35. Hand held over my head taking full advantage of the G6's articulated screen. OIS on, of course. I think 1/15. Focus in the murky conditions was lightning fast. Thanks G6 and f23.8.

A few minutes later I sidled through the friendly crowd to get a closer shot of the dancers. I hadn't intended to do this at this point, so didn't have my FL600 flash on the camera. However, the G6's flip up flash did a wonderful job. ISO was still at 1600 (I had actually forgotten I had set it at that so I was a bit surprised when I saw the coverage!). I burnt in the bottom half the pic a bit to even out exposure. I still had the shutter set to 1/15 (or something) so I got a bit of background with that. 12-35 @ 12. I had to take the lens hood off because it introduces a shadow into the bottom 20% of the pic with he little flash, but I knew that. Without the hood, you only lose sobut 10% of the bottom of the pic to that phenomenon. Again, focus was fast and accurate.

An experiment that didn't work. I normally have the cam set to AFS. Since I sas shooting slow burst to catch the fast moving dancers, and I am an open minded, forever eager to learn kind of bloke, I bethought me it would be jolly good to try AFC for a chance. Then the dancers parted and my center focus area hit the people in the background! Okay, AFC works a treat -- so long as you keep the focus point on the subject! 100-300.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Thx.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow