Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,558Gear list
Like?
Re: Milkweed alert
In reply to Old Listener, 5 months ago

Old Listener wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Now you've piqued my further interest in milkweeds! My understanding is that the sap (latex?) of milkweeds is a factor in making the Monarchs toxic to predators. Would this be true of oleander aphids?

I don't know whether eating milkweed sap makes the aphids toxic to their predators. I know that the sap discourages most insects from eating the leaves and sap. The oleander aphids and milkweed bugs (pictures in this gallery) have adapted to consume milkweed sap.

some pictures of milkweed and insects that feed on it.

Thanks Bill!

Very nice close-ups of those bugs and their habitat.... including the Lion's Tooth. (Dent de Lion).   I use  Lion's Tooth when considering the topic of 2-4-D etc when talking with lawn manicurers.

I shot some more images using the mechanical shutter today.  Got some more of the "flying crayfish":

Good news is that the marina owner chatted with me today and was very appreciative of my pointing out his Monarch Butterfly Garden.    Lotsa small battles, eh?

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow