Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenstip on sharpness
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 4 months ago

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

"At 500 mm, in the case of the Sigma 150 – 500 mm, the maximum aperture is f/6.3. To free it from most of the aberrations you will need it use the aperture of about f/13-16. At that point, though, the diffraction becomes a serious limitation on the lens’s achievements and that’s why the MTF values couldn’t reach much above the 30 lpmm level."

"The lens fares exceedingly well at 150 mm; at 250 mm it’s performance is average, then, unfortunately, it decreases further. The performance at the maximum relative aperture is especially weak, at the longest focal lengths crossing just 20 lpmm level."

http://www.lenstip.com/184.4-Lens_review-Sigma_150-500_mm_f_5.0-6.3_APO_DG_OS_HSM_Image_resolution.html

-- hide signature --

Dan

I would have to agree and this pretty much sums it up

With wildlife photography if you want quality work you are stuck with buying quality lenses if you are looking for pixel level performance in a system.

Given the knowledge I have now I would have not wasted my time getting the 50-500 but rather saved and put that money towards a quality 300 F4 and TC or a 300 F2.8 and tc.

With the cost of the 50-500 I was almost half way there

As a DA*300 HD 1.4X RC owner, I would agree, but note that the Bigma fared better than the Bigmos in the Lenstip testing:

"The Sigma surpasses noticeably the 150-500 mm OS model here, which, on going from 400 mm to 500 mm, had a lot of problems with reaching similar results. What’s more, even after significant stopping down to f/11 the 150-500 mm model at the maximum focal length barely brushed against the usefulness level. The Sigma 50-500 mm OS doesn’t have any problems with exceeding it and, after all, its focal length range is a lot wider."

http://www.lenstip.com/244.4-Lens_review-Sigma_50-500_mm_f_4.5-6.3_APO_DG_OS_HSM_Image_resolution.html

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow