Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Newbie12345
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
DPReview Image Comparison Tool Question
3 months ago

I have always found the image comparison tool (ICT) to be somewhat unrealistic. It compares a carefully crafted studio scene under a controlled lighting to enable objective comparison of pictures from different cameras.

However, I feel that it does not portray the actual difference in picture quality you would get if you were to use it in person. Allow me to explain.

I wanted to compare my old Canon S90 with the new Sony RX100-III.

Canon S90 has smaller sensor and much slower lens (2.0-4.9).

Sony RX100-III has bigger sensor and much faster lens (1.8-2.8). It is about two stops faster at the long end than Canon (not taking into account equivalent aperture).

I would expect Sony to produce significantly better image especially in low light due to its faster lens and bigger sensor.

IQ due to sensor size difference is reflected in the ICT.

But, the lens speed is not reflected in ICT. If S90 used ISO 1600 for a scene, then RX100-III would presumably use ISO 400 for the same scene (I do not have RX100-III to test, so thats what I believe would happen).

So, I artificially use a lower ISO for Sony in ICT to compare the IQ of two cameras. Is this the correct way to compare the two cameras? My family and friends do not agree with me when I do such a comparison.

Ideally, I would like to point the camera in default auto mode at a scene and take a picture. Then compare the pictures from the two cameras. The camera will decide what ISO, aperture, and shutter speed to use. I will then see the difference I would expect when using it in the real world.

What are your opinions and thoughts? How to accurately capture the IQ difference between a pair of cameras?

Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow