a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,421Gear list
Like?
Re: a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, 2 months ago

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

The improvement from a NEX-7 is substantial, and especially if the majority of use is indoors with a relatively slow zoom lens, my typical situation. Seems like an a7S is an appropriate next step for me, but hate to "start over again" with new full frame lenses. My NEX-7 and 5 lenses have depreciated very quickly over a couple years of ownership.

That's a tough call. I know something of what you speak - I took a real bruising with the SEL24 and I bought mine used! 

Going to a larger format can be a good way to experience the full brunt of the law of diminishing returns. (How many thousands do we want to spend per extra stop of usable ISO?)

Using legacy glass was the big trick for me. If these A7 bodies could use only FE lenses, I would probably have to wait another couple years. (As it is, tempting as they seem, part of me is hesitant to invest in the official Sony lenses. I have definite concerns about QC, depreciation and future viability. All the while my legacy glass is doing great and I can still jump to Fuji or even Canon with a couple of cheap adapters.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow