Are my images Green?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,103
Like?
Re: You applied color space instead of converting.
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

And honestly, unless you really understand color space (and know why you really need a wider color space for a particular image), you're probably better off capturing and working in sRGB. Wider <> "better". For most images, even when used correctly, the difference is pretty subtle but the problems caused by incorrect color space use is not, as you have found out.

I disagree. Learning the difference between assigning a color space, and converting to a color space is not rocket science. Work in a wide color space; convert to sRGB when going to the web.

That is over simplifying the problems that can happen working even in aRGB, much less something like proRGB. A big one is VERY few monitors can display outside of sRGB and most can't even cover sRGB, so editing becomes a problem. You can't see what you are doing. You at least have to be checking for -out of monitor gamut- colors often to even have an idea of what is going on that you can't see.

Yes, but you can use gamut warnings. Using sRGB reduces your "elbow room" when adjusting colors, and limits your final results to the limits of your monitor.

Also, as the color space becomes wider, the chance of posterization increases.

Explain this to me, please. My understanding was that posterization was caused by the limited colors available in 8 bit color. As a sky or other area of subtle color/value change is rendered the 256 colors in 8 bit are not enough to make a smooth transition.

And last, most places you send a file to be printed want sRGB files. Anything viewed or shared online needs to be sRGB. Unless you have had a custom profile made for your own printer, most "canned" profiles don't print far enough outside of sRGB for it to even be visible in the final print.

The idea is to work in a space where you have the most elbow room and then, if necessary, convert to the color space of the output device.

The only time I work outside sRGB is when I have an image I know has a color "being clipped" by the smaller color space (usually is something really brightly colored like a yellow flower) and I'm going to print on my custom profiled home printer. Then I pull an aRGB file out of the RAW, edit while checking the -out of monitor gamut- colors to make sure then they aren't also too far out for the printer profile gamut to deal with, and then print. Yes, there is a subtle difference in the final print but it isn't earth shattering.

IMHO there are just too many down sides to using a large color space vs the gain you can see in -any- final output for most images. For example, the image the OP posted is no where near the edges of sRGB. In my experience, most of the images I capture aren't either. Most people work in a large color space because of the belief "bigger is better", it really isn't true for most photographic uses.

I know this flies in the face of popular opinion but then again, I like shooting jpegs too *gasp*

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml#

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow