Manual Focus shooters - what classic lenses do you use?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,537Gear list
Like?
Re: Manual Focus shooters - what classic lenses do you use?
In reply to Maklike Tier, 3 months ago

I've been thinking about the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 as my next lens, but instead of that I was maybe thinking about trying to find some classic glass and attaching it to my E-P5.

For all you manual focus fans out there, what would be a great piece of glass for MF street and general walkabout style shooting?

It'll be tough to find a legacy manual focus lenses gets you the angle of view of the Voigtlander 17 mm lens. Heck, it's an expensive enough proposition to get a fast manual focus 24mm that you might as well just get the PL25 f/1.4 or Olympus 25mm f/1.8. With 35mm cameras, 24mm and wider tended to be exotic glass designed for wide angle (there was a time when 24mm was, in fact, considered "ultrawide"), and when using 35mm format lenses around 17mm--these just don't play nicely with the filter stacks on digital cameras, and you'd honestly you'd get better results just with your kit lens that came with your camera – and the same bright aperture.

However, a possibility outside of the 35mm realm is the Pentax Auto 110 series of lenses. These are designed for the 110 film format, which is actually the exact same size as MFT. There are three primes for this format – 18 mm, 25 mm and 50 mm, all f2.8, and all you have to do is supply the necessary adapters – one thing to note with Pentax 110 lenses is that they don't have their own aperture. The aperture was controlled by a combined leaf shutter/diaphragm mechanism in the camera. Some newer, albeit more expensive adapters for these lenses have their own built-in diaphragm.

Another option would be to use a focal reducer with some glass that's not quite as exotic. A 28mm lens combined with a .7X focal reducer turns into about a 19 mm lens that's a stop faster, and this is again good territory for walkaround photography on MFT. Plus, the better focal reducers that are designed to be used on specific formats like the Metabones Speedbooster do correct for problems caused by filter stacks on digital cameras.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow