Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
Re: Corner tests for 16-35 f/4 vs. 16-35 f/2.8 (v.1) vs. 24-70 f/2.8L II
In reply to hotdog321, 3 months ago

hotdog321 wrote:

O.K., perhaps I misspoke in my hurry to get the results posted. Jeez. Lets see. I'm surprised that the $1200 16-35 f/4L IS produces very similar corner results to the $2200 24-70 f/2.8L II. Better?

Not denigrating the 24-70 f/2.8L II; one of the sharpest and most flare-resistant lenses Canon has produced in years. Love mine--I was just surprised that the affordable new 16-35 could produce similar results at 24mm and 35mm.

The 16-35 f/4 might also do even better for both types of CA than the 24-70 II, which does crazy well in those regards itself, and it of course has tons less distortion at 24mm than the 24-70 II and the corners may be same general ballpark, whether better or worse is hard to say yet, BUT so far I'm fairly suspicious that the 24-70 II noticeably pulls ahead mid-frame and pulls ahead center frame, I almost feel the 16-35 f/4 IS might be more of an average L performer mid-frame and center frame. Not sure yet though and I think I had it backfocusing a bit, but I still have a suspicion that it might not be quite as mad crisp mid and center frame as I had hoped. But again just going on outdoor snaps and we've had such changeable weather than the lighting changed second to second and that makes it hard to be sure, as that really affects microcontrast.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow