Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,726Gear list
Like?
300mm F4 AF or AFS
5 months ago

I tried the search on this site, as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have bad luck ever finding anything using the search engine on this site. Either I get 5 threads not really related to my question or I get 500+ individual posts with any post with the word either 300mm or afs in the body of the message.

Anyway, I'm selling an old MF 300mm f2.8 (mainly because of the weight + hard to AF action shot accurately) and looking for a AF F4 version. The AF version is 1/2 the price and likely would be using it on a D700 or D800 so the AF should be reasonable fast. At least my 80-200 f2.8 and 180mm f2.8 focus "fast enough" on those bodies.

I plan to use this for car/motorcycle races and am thinking that the AFS version might be worth the extra $$. I'd likely buy used so is there any reliability problems with the AFS version I should be aware of? Are they optically about the same, online "reviews" seems to say they are close. Same coatings etc. Anyone who has used both will get bonus points for their response

Last question, how much better would this be than a kenko 1.4X pro used with a 80-200 f2.8?

TIA

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow