Are my images Green?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,108
Like?
Re: You applied color space instead of converting.
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

OK I see what you are doing. I downloaded the original and opened in PS. It's tagged as sRGB and looks green and washed out. I "applied" (not converted) the proGB color space and the image looks like the preview/correct. I'm not sure what workflow you are using but you have to CONVERT to a profile, not assign them.

I uploaded the "fixed" file after I assigned proRGB and then -converted- back to sRGB. You will see now the click through original looks fine. (I downsampled it to save upload time).

Nice catch Ed and Stacy. It never would have occurred to me that someone assigned a profile rather than converting.

And honestly, unless you really understand color space (and know why you really need a wider color space for a particular image), you're probably better off capturing and working in sRGB. Wider <> "better". For most images, even when used correctly, the difference is pretty subtle but the problems caused by incorrect color space use is not, as you have found out.

I disagree. Learning the difference between assigning a color space, and converting to a color space is not rocket science. Work in a wide color space; convert to sRGB when going to the web.

I understand color space but I still work in sRGB most of the time as that is what most of my images will end up in anyway. If it's a "special" images, I can always pull a aRGB etc. out of the RAW file to edit for printing on a wide gamut printer.

Working in sRGB can cause you to go out of gamut too easily.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow