Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,304Gear list
Like?
GH4 shoots natures beauty at its best!
3 months ago

I use my cams for all kinds of things and one is shooting aurora borealis and noctilucent clouds. Both can be predicted with some certainty half a day (NLCs) to even a couple of days (AB) before they happen.

As I live at 52 degrees in the summer aurora borealis difficult to spot as it does not get dark enough for a month or three. THye can be spotted near 1 o'clock or so if they are very bright.

But precisely during this period, the same sunlight can shine on strange, high altitude iceclouds that form reasonably quickly and can disappear. How they ar eformed is a bit unsure, but it seems that dust from metorites on one side and atmospheric watervapour on the other meet where space meets the boundary of our atmosphere.

The NLC radar in Northern GErmany showed extreme echo's (bouncing off at 85 km or so on the clouds) the last few days but especially yesterday (and today also but a bit less) were extraordinary. I have been lurking at the sky since monday, only seeing a week display on wednesday. CLouds got in the way. But yesterday evening, the sky was very clear and it was warm (15 C instead of 8 C). Ideal to go on the look.

End result: I was up from 23.00 to 6.00 shooting the clouds from 23.00 to 4.30. When the sun comes up (or just before) it is all over. The clouds were clearly visible all night and got to 50 degrees or more. The best display in at least 5 years and we had ideal conditions!

GH4 did really well. The pics below are simply the JPGs sometimes slightly PP-ed with the simpl Elements 8. I am contemplating DxO or Adobe 5.5. But I found the JPGs not only very nice, but also really true to what I saw.

Today, after three hours of sleep I had to go Utrecht for my BIL wedding (had to shoot) and I had to cano for 4 hours...But apparantly the energyboost from last night meant I did not tire at all. Great night...great day..Great Panasonic GH4!

Shot with the 35-100 mm f2.8

GH4 JPG

GH4 JPG

Stitch of 5-6 pics with Microsoft ICE

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow