Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.
In reply to audiobomber, 2 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

jamesm007 wrote:

I never tested for that because I believe most lens get sharper stopped down. Won't argue with that. But it is weird how it stays the same at f/5.8 versus f/8.

Mine sure as hell doesn't, not at 300mm anyway. Photozone and Ephotozine tests showed sharpest center at f/8, sharpest borders at f/11 and beyond. DXO is wrong.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Because I am so verbose you may have not read the whole thread. I am saying the DA55-300mm loses sharpness going into the corners at 300mm. Moreover that the DA* is faster with more contrast and color, deeper into the corners.

The below is in my post...

"The corner do lose some sharpness going up to300mm. That and being faster and more color, contrast is what makes lens like the DA*300mm better".

So I was never in disagreement?

However Photozone and other tests show the kit lens and DA18-135mm reaching higher MTF numbers. They are sharper than the DA*300mm at certain focal lengths and f/stops. Its an old design. Popularphoto shows the DA55-300mm as sharper than the DA*300mm. The DA55-300mm is a good lens.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow