a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
JonTafferOfPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: a7S high ISO claim - - -over hyped or not ?
In reply to TThorne, 5 months ago

TThorne wrote:

JonTafferOfPhotography wrote:

TThorne wrote:

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

There's also a dynamic range benefit at higher ISOs. At base ISO, however, there's a dynamic range cost compared to the A7R.

This is devastating news to me. I am truly saddened to see this confirmed and thankful at the same time for the work you have put into it. I love everything about the A7S, but for practical issues on the job (for me at least) the A7 and A7R seem like the reigning champions, as I value low ISO DR above much else.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

if you "value low ISO DR above much else", the a7s is obviously not a camera you should be concerned with. doesn't the S in a7S indicate that? no reason to be devastated. that's like claiming to be devastated that the a7r is not medium format, lol.

The "S" never needed to indicate that. Sony flat out said it in their marketing of the A7S. Your analogy is not very well thought out.

Still, I like the camera and it works great. DR at low ISO is on par with the others if we start at ISO400 which I consider low still. Base ISO still belongs to the A7 and A7R.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

do you know what the "S" stands for?

also the low lSO DR is not bad by any means, it even smokes a nikon d3x for one 1/4 of the MSRP.

it is a trade off, for the best high ISO ever seen outside of some DARPA lab.

everything has trade offs, and it's best not to put all your hopes and belief into OEM marketing.

also, my analogy is spot on, you are expecting something that doesn't exist.

JonTafferOfPhotography's gear list:JonTafferOfPhotography's gear list
Nikon D4 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow