Milkweed alert

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
Re: Milkweed alert
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 4 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

On Wednesday, warm and sunny, I happened upon two different Milkweed patches which were very aromatic and abuzz with bee, moth, dragonfly and butterfly activity.

So I had lots of fun sitting in the truck pointing the 100-300 mm lens:

Hard to imagine that this little patch of milkweeds would yield such a treasure!

I think that it was the combo of milkweed maturity, aroma, temperature and sunshine with contributed to this event. I will be keeping my eyes (and nose) open for other sites on the next hot sunny day!

Tom

Lots of great pictures.  I always like pictures of the moth (?) that looks like a flying crayfish.

I see similar behavior about flowers suddenly becoming the place to eat.  I can't see the difference but insects sense when a flower or a group of flowers are at their peak for producing nectar and pollen.  An example

bugs on grindelia flower. (Gumplant)  The flower was about 1 - 1.5 inches across.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow