Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you smarter than a 55-300? For this Bigmos, the answer is no.
In reply to MJSfoto1956, 2 months ago

MJSfoto1956 wrote:

most lens manufacturers design their long telephotos to deliver the best results in the first 50% of the range leaving the longest focal length "wanting". Examples include Canon 100-400 and Nikon 80-400 (and your Bigma too). There are exceptions though: The Sony 80-400 and the Pentax DA* 60-250mm both deliver great results at the longest focal length. For me, I won't buy a lens design that is not sharp at its longest focal length because what's the point of a long lens after all? The fact is it *CAN* be done but for whatever reason some of the lenses out there don't deliver the goods and they won't get my money.

Michael

P.S. it will be interesting to see what Canon does with their rumored update to the 100-400mm come this fall

It's not that they "design" them that way, but rather, that's the optical physics default. By narrowing the angle of view, you're emphasising imperfections particularly of the front-most glass elements. It's NOT doing it this way that takes design deliberation and skill.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow