ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Just picked up a Sony A6000
4 months ago

Hi Guys,

I may have finally lost my mind & demonstrated the utter insanity of the GAS attack!

Ever since unloading my A65 in favour of an all MFT kit, there was always some nagging thing in the back of my mind about the bigger sensor size of the APS-C format being somehow better. When Sony came up with a 24 megapixel variant, along with a promise of good low light performance, I almost couldn't help myself & I started reading the reviews on the A6000. The whopping additional $25 discount for Canada Day at a local big box store had me throw caution to the wind & I splurged $725 (about $820 with taxes) on the Sony, replete with the 16-50mm PZ kit lens.

I've been shooting my feet plonked on the corner of my desk, my flowers outside the front door & I've been trying the occasional shot out the window of a moving car (I do a lot of this with my GX7!) & I'm really not seeing the dramatic differences I expected. Actually I'm really not seeing that much difference at all, to the point where I'm now thinking of returning it.

I'm not a sophisticated pixel peeper but I do like to compare out of camera jpegs at 100%. I'm also aware that there are many reports on the poor optical quality of the 16-50mm PZ but I felt there should have been some decent improvement over my GX7 or my E-PM2 with a kit lens, other than the jpegs just being bigger.

I'm sharing this for fun & for those hapless few who, like me, are soon parted from their hard earned coin! I welcome your mirthful scorn & ridicule, along with your thoughts on what you might do were you to have this beautiful little piece of technology in your hands. And it does feel good in the hand! Should I take it back or maybe what I really need is to test drive is one of those full frame mirrorless babies from Sony!

Paul

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PM2 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +5 more
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PhewNew
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow