Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hokyungbenjaminbenlee
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
What is your go-to wide angle lens?
2 months ago

More and more I use the NEX 16-50mm kit lens (on my NEX 6), more and more I get disappointed.

Someone on this forum once told me that it is all to do with my photography skill.

I disagree. I read many forum threads and reviews, and majority of the people are simply not happy with the quality of the default kit lens for the NEX system.

I am pretty sure people can take great photographs with the kit lens provided that they know how to craft their shots.

From my own experience, the shots taken at 16mm focal length are dull, boring, and flat, and provides little or no depth to the photo as the largest aperture it provides is f/3.5. At 50mm, even the slightest hand shake creates blur to the image and noise is visible in low light.

At the moment, my default lenses are Sony E 50mm f/1.8 and Minolta 50mm f/1.7. Although they are not wide angle lenses, they are sufficient for fast street photography. And they provide shallow depth (bokeh) and vivid colours.

So my questions are, what do you use as your default go-to lens for everyday street photography? and what are some of the wide angle lenses you would recommend me to try? Sony E 10-18mm f/4 any good? What about Sony Carl Zeiss E 24mm T* f/1.8?

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS LG G2 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow